As requested by my mother
Healthy Mini Beetroot Cakes
Adapted from the Saffron Girl
Makes 12 mini cakes
Coconut oil to spray
1/2 cup low fat natural yoghurt
3 tbsp Maple syrup
20 drops liquid stevia (or add more maple syrup)
3 tbsp granulated stevia (or granulated sweetener of choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup coconut flour
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper
2. Peel the beetroot and cut into fine slices/chunks and place on the baking tray. Spray lightly with the coconut oil and bake for 20min, turning once after 10 minutes.
3. Remove the beetroot from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 170 degrees celcius and grease a square cupcake pan (alternatively you could use a regular cupcake pan)
4. Place the beetroot in a food processor and blitz for a minute on high until finely chopped. Add the eggs and blend again until combined.
5. Add the maple syrup, both stevias, vanilla extract, baking soda, sea salt and spices, blending again.
6. Add the cocoa powder and coconut flour and blend for the final time until combined.
7. Spoon a few tablespoons of the mixture into each hole of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes until the center is set. Remove from the oven. This tastes great served warm straight from the oven and also cold. Enjoy!