Sunday morning breakfasts should be special. Nothing says special quite like saffron does. While this dish does take a while to prepare (probably a good half an hour), it is well worth it! The flavours are rich yet the dish is light and wholesome. I will certainly never be making baked eggs any other way!
Saffron Infused Spicy Baked Eggs
Adapted from My Bare Cupboard
1/2 tsp saffron strands
250 ml hot chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
100 grams bacon, diced
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves , crushed
1 small red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or you could use white)
250g punnet of Cherry Tomatoes, diced
2-3 cups baby spinach
salt and black pepper
crusty bread to serve (I served it with a low carb empower wrap)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C .
2. Place the saffron in the hot chicken stock and leave to infuse for 5
minutes . Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a large oven proof
frying pan. Add the diced bacon and fry for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside .
3. Add the diced onion , crushed garlic and chilli to the pan and cook over medium heat
until softened and starting to caramelise. Now add the paprika and apple cider vinegar and cook for 30
seconds more. Add the saffron-infused chicken stock, the tomatoes
and their juice and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to medium, returning the bacon to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Now add the baby spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes or until wilted and the stock liquid has been significantly reduced
5. Once most of the liquid has evaporated, using the spatula, form 4 small holes in the mixture which you will then crack each of the eggs into. Season with salt and pepper and place in the preheated oven, for 5-6 minutes or until the eggs are
set. You can however bake them for longer or less, depending on how you like your eggs.
6. Carefully remove the frying pan from the oven and serve. It would be perfectly nice by itself or with some crusty bread. Enjoy!