Because sometimes it's just fun to bake
Mini Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Poires Au Chocolat
For the caramel:
60g granulated sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
50 ml water
3 tbs cream
1/2 tsp fleur de sel or finely ground sea salt
2 tbs butter
For the cake:
40g dutch processed cocoa powder
50ml hot water
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
70g butter80g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
For the Buttercream:3 large egg white
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Caramel as per above
1. To make the caramel: Put the sugar, corn syrup and water together in a saucepan over high heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and then let it bubble away until the mixture turns a deep golden brown. At this point, remove from the heat and let sit for a minute before whisking in the butter and then cream. Let the foam subside, then stir in the salt. Let cool.
2. To make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Grease two 4" springform tins.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, sour cream and hot water then put it aside to cool. Weigh out the flour and baking powder and sift into another bowl. In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Slowly add the beaten egg, mixing well between addition. Add the vanilla and Maple Syrup and beat again. Start adding alternate small amounts of the flour mixture and the chocolate mixture, starting and ending with the flour.
4. Divide the batter between the two pans. Bake for about 18 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the tin and leaving to cool on a wire rack
6. Once complete, transfer the mixture to your standing mixer and using a whisk attachment, whisk on high for about 5-10 minutes. You know this step has been completed when the bowl and it is at room temperature.
7. Once the mixing bowl feels neutral to touch, reduce the speed to medium and in small cubes, slowly add the butter, whisking each piece until it has been completely incorporated. Once all the butter is incorporated, add the caramel and whisk until combined.
8. To assemble the petite cake, place one layer on the serving plate, put a few large dollops of the buttercream on top and sandwich the second piece of cake on top of this. Now top this piece with some more buttercream and decorate as you please. I put some hazelnuts on top of mine.